The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Faye Webster ‘Undressed at the Symphony’ Review

Graphic by Isaac Basquez

When I think of Faye Webster, I think of her mellow instrumentals and emotional vocals. In her 5th album “Undressed at the Symphony” Webster delivers on her usual vibes with much more emphasis on the instrumentals. This album, as the name suggests, has many orchestral strings and brass instruments. I think the orchestral aspect adds depth to the album.

The opening song “Thinking About You” has an amazing flow because of the slow tempo and the piano. One issue, and this happens often throughout the album, is Webster repeating a single phrase over and over again. “Thinking About You” along with other songs like “Tttttime” have redundant lyrics and instrumentals that become old over time.  

A high point on this album is the title track “Undressed at the Symphony.” This is easily the best song on this album. It is also one of the most melancholic songs I have heard. Toward the end of the song a short break plays where orchestral instruments play this lick that matches the song and album perfectly. 

A low point in the album is the song “Lego Ring” featuring Lil Yachty. I love both Webster and Yachty, but I do not think their vocals mix well in this song. Yachty’s high-pitched vocals do not match well with the instrumentals of Webster’s voice. 

Another low point in this album is “He Loves Me, Yeah!” Webster’s vocals in this song are a little unpleasant because of the harsh guitar tone and do not have a lot to say.

Overall “Undressed at the Symphony” is a good album full of niche orchestral sounds and pleasant vocals; because of this, I give the album a 7/10.