The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

‘For All the Dogs’ fits artist’s style

Photo by Justin Gwaltney
Reporter Isaac Basquez and Managing Editor Rachel Womeldorff drawing their recreation of hip-hop artist Drake’s “For All the Dogs” album cover. They have mixed feelings about the album.

Hip-hop artist Drake is an iconic artist in the 21st century and has been changing the rap game for years. His newest album “For All the Dogs” features 23 songs that earned a spot in the top 50 on the Billboard Hot 100 list since the album was released Oct. 6.

Most of the songs on “For All the Dogs” sound too much alike. Drake’s vocals on the album are quite monotone and rarely change in energy. The only time listeners get changes in tone while listening is during the songs with features.

The features on this album go crazy. Songs like “IDGAF,” “First Person Shooter” and “Amen” bring exciting vocals from each featured artist. 

“IDGAF” is a huge stand out on the album. Even though we are a little disappointed when Drake comes in on this song, the featured artist Yeat, an up-and-coming rapper, provides insane vocals and laid back rap cadence to carry the song. 

The Yeat feature is not the only positive element of the album. “For All the Dogs” begins with a popular and catchy song, “Virginia Beach.” However, one of the best songs on the album is the closing track, “Polar Opposites.” The album fits well into Drake’s album catalog, without losing its own sound. Each song on the album comfortably molds and transitions into the next. 

The features make the album so much better compared to the songs where it is just Drake rapping because the songs where he raps by himself are boring and repetitive. The features make Drake conform to their style of beats and flow. 

We do not think Drake realizes we have been listening to him rap this way for over a decade now. We wish Drake would switch it up a little and try something new. That is why the songs with features on them are a breath of fresh air. Overall, this album has its highs and lows just like every other Drake album.