The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Modern musicians forget to include harmonization

Members of Tally Hall circle around a pinata, using their ties as blindfolds. Tally Hall was a band known for their harmonization, messages hidden in or around their songs, and their colored ties, which each member used as a way to be recognized. Photo courtesy Spotify

In the past, harmonization was a large part of music. From barbershop groups to bands who performed using instruments along with harmonization, it was almost everywhere, and it gave music life. Modern music groups however, neglect this aspect of music often including only one or two singers who sing separately or do not harmonize at all. 

Harmonization is when a group of people sing different parts, one singing melody and the others singing above or below that melody. This causes the music to have a pleasing effect on the audience, and makes the music using harmony more enticing than music without. People still enjoy harmony, which is why they still attend choir concerts, barbershop groups, or even acapella groups. 

An example of a band I really enjoy that uses harmony is Tally Hall. Tally Hall is an early 2000’s band that includes an excellent mix of instrumentals, vocals and harmonization. When I first heard this band, it made me look more into harmonization and barbershop-like music. It made me realize how much modern music lacks because of the missing harmonization.

Other examples of bands that include harmony, which are highly popular are ABBA, Beach Boys, The Beatles and Queen. I believe their use of harmonization as well as instruments increased their popularity. These aspects are huge reasons why these bands are popular to this day and often more popular than modern artists. 

In addition to lack of harmoniziation, newer musicians are not as popular because most of them perform solo and use pre-recorded tracks as their instrumentals instead of live instruments. Reasons like these cause music to lose its soul. Older musicians also included storylines with their bands or albums that increased fan interaction and enjoyment. 

If modern music and older music are compared, it seemslike older musicians had a much larger passion for the music itself, and in most cases, that would be correct.