The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Album changed Tyler, The Creator forever: “IGOR” review

Graphic by Isaac Basquez

Rapper Tyler, The Creator has been relevant since 2010 with the formation of his rap collective Odd Future. Ever since then, Tyler has been making music that has cut its way into some of the best rap of all time. 

The pinnacle of this is his 2019 album “IGOR.” I’m reviewing this album because it is often regarded as his best project and won the 2019 Grammy for Best Rap Album. This album is even more impressive because Tyler wrote, mixed and produced the album himself.

After the release of “IGOR.” Tyler’s sound completely changed. In his prior albums, his songs were more rough and vulgar. Tyler brings much more of a  poppy sound and uses his pitched-up vocals to sing more than rap. This is the case for his song “Earfquake.”

“IGOR” starts with a bang, with the opener “Igor’s Theme.” The rough drums over a single sustained note set the tone for the album. The song repeats motifs that Tyler used throughout the album including  “I got my eyes open” and “one.”

“IGOR” is a concept album about a complicated love triangle between Tyler, another man, and this man’s love interest. Tyler yearns for this man and even considers resorting to violence toward Tyler’s love interest as explained in the song “New Magic Wand.” Eventually, Tyler comes to grips with not being with his love interest. He then spirals out of control and regresses to where he was at the beginning of the album. This album also makes a perfect loop with itself. The last note of the album at the end of “Are We Still Friends” resolves perfectly with the first note of “Igor’s Theme”. This complex story makes this album my favorite of all time. 

My favorite part of of this album is the song “A Boy is a Gun”. This song samples the 1970’s song “Bound” by Ponderosa Twins Plus One. This sample is used in such a good way and helps the song make its point. The production on this album is a little rough around the edges, but I think that makes it better and fits the character of the album. 

Overall this is my favorite album of all time and it will be for a long time.