Senior newspaper members reflect on high school years: Emily LaPlant

As the last grains of sand drain out of my high school hourglass, and my time as an Oriole is numbered, I often find myself reminiscing on what once was.

The last four years of my life have challenged, shaped and taught me countless lessons. During the same span of time, I have also experienced epic highs, countless laughs, the kind of laughter you can no longer breathe from, and memories to last me a lifetime. 

The memories I have collected were not created in one certain classroom or club, instead, they are spread out among the walk from the health room to biology, the tennis courts and countless away games for soccer. During my time at the highschool I was a member of the newspaper, Future Business Leaders of America, National Honor Society, Spanish club, Friends of Freshmen, art club, varsity tennis and varsity soccer. 

Perhaps my most memorable year was my senior one. Not only did we survive toilet paper shortages and overly dried hands from hand sanitizer, but we took the final leap of faith and made it to the end, cap and gown intact. 

During my senior year I had to mature a lot, quickly. I assumed the role of co-managing editor, and after a few too many injuries on the soccer team, I became captain. Taking on two different leadership roles for vastly different teams taught me a lot. 

The first lesson I learned was from the soccer team. They showed me being a leader is not only taking responsibility for myself but for the team. I was responsible for the successes, the losses and everything in between. However, they never let me carry the weight alone. I will be forever grateful for our time spent on the turf, bus rides, pool parties, improv dancing and karaoke sessions. When I joined the team four years ago I played among strangers. Now, the same strangers I awkwardly befriended out of shared space on the field have become my family. 

The second lesson I learned was from team Edward, my newspaper team. They taught me I did not have to conquer the world alone. When I was stressed, Savannah McMicheal was there for my late night rants and Maddie Smart always knew how to make me laugh. The rest of my team, and journalism adviser Julie Barker, always put their confidence in me. No matter how outlandish the decision I made was or how late the assignment list was posted, I was never criticized. They taught me unconditional support. Just as the soccer team became my family, the newspaper lab became my home. 

Soon, I will walk off the soccer field and out of the newspaper lab for the last time, and with me I will take these lessons. 

I enjoyed my time as an Oriole, but as birds do, I must spread my wings and leave the nest. Thank you, Augusta High School.