The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Senior newspaper members reflect on high school years: Justin Gwaltney

Photo courtesy Kenna Gwaltney

I went into high school without a single possible thought of doing anything journalism related. At the time, it was never on my radar. But after taking 21st Century Journalism, I was presented the opportunity to join The Oriole for my second semester of my freshman year. 

It definitely threw me out of my comfort zone, walking into a room full of people I had never met before, all the while having to take on more responsibilities and work than other classes. But I never saw it as more work or anything like that. I saw it as something that I actually enjoyed. 

And my high school experience only got elevated my junior year when I became the Editor-in-Chief of The Oriole. The original thought about running the newspaper absolutely terrified me, but I didn’t let those fears stop me from making sure the newspaper continued to be run effectively and efficiently.

My high school ended up way better than I originally expected because of the fantastic people I met in both band and newspaper. From drumline, where I played 3rd and 2nd bass, where I made plenty of friends and created plenty of long-lasting memories, to newspaper where I continued to express my hobby of writing, all the while chatting with friends.

If I would have just stuck to my original plan of just going through high school without trying new things, I would have regretted it. There have been some ups and downs on this rollercoaster, but I’m glad I took the risks and accepted the challenges to have a fun, entertaining, high school career.

And if there is one thing that high school has taught me, “One cannot be brave who has no fear.” The bravest people are those who know there are risks in what they plan to do, but they do it anyway.