The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Cast, crew prepares 50’s styled musical

Senior+Pashence+Atkins+performs+the+first+song+of+the+musical.+Atkins+plays+the+role+of+Principal+Delila+Strict+in+the+production.++++++
Photo by Isaac Basquez
Senior Pashence Atkins performs the first song of the musical. Atkins plays the role of Principal Delila Strict in the production.

Nick Franssen and his cast and crew are preparing to put on their newest fall musical production “Zombie Prom”.

“We picked our show right at the end of the school year, and essentially, I started planning in the summer and thinking about the set design,” Franssen said. “We started thinking about the choreography and what style of choreography that we will go for.” 

When putting together a show, one of the leads, junior Jack Walker looks back on the long process.

“It’s definitely a process of going through rehearsal of listening to the soundtrack of knowing where you need to work on things and how to practice them,” Walker said. “It’s different for every person, but for me, it’s taken the full amount of time we’ve had to prepare myself fully and everyone in the musical has been very supportive and helpful.” 

Sophomore Kadence Kruzburg works on the set for the musical.

“It’s very stressful, and it just has to do with a lot of communication partially because you don’t want to be building something and then something falls on someone,” Kreuzburg said. “We use a lot of the old materials like the old stairs and just repainted them and built them together.”

As Franssen goes through the process of selecting a musical, one factor he takes into consideration is what will fit his cast.

“You have to look at singing ranges for a lot of it,” Franssen said. “Beyond that, I just look for content that the students will really buy into.”