The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Apple changes iPhone charger to follow new laws

Photo by Isaac Basquez
Apple changes the new iPone 15s charger from Lightning to USB-C. Apple is doing this because of laws that are passing in the EU to cut down on electronic waste.

With the release of the iPhone 15, Apple decided to change its charger from Lightning, the input every iPhone has had since 2012, to USB-C. 

Apple said the reason for this change is the EU is doing away with all smartphone chargers other than USB-C because if Apple stoped selling in the EU as much as 30% of its sales will drop, The New York Times Reported in the article ‘Apple Unveils iPhone 15 and Switches to USB-C Charger’. The New York Times also reports that the EU is doing this to cut down on electronic waste and to make the smartphone scene more consistent. 

Science teacher J.D Hand agrees with Apple’s business decision to change the charger.

“Apple doesn’t do anything that they think will lose them money,” Hand said. “If they are making that switch, it’s probably a good business decision.”

Junior Hunter Smith has the opinion that this change will help compatibility between Apple and other phones.

“It is a smart decision because all phones nowadays have a USB-C charger,” Smith said. “You don’t have to worry about having a stupid Lightning charger brick on you.”

Freshman Mycaela Highbarger agrees with Smith.

“The port can be worldwide and everyone won’t have to struggle with having different charging ports,” Highbarger said.