Oriole

Filed under Features

Student teacher joins science department

Student+teacher+Leora+Seiler+walks+students+through+taking+the+cores+out+of+a+potato.+Seiler+has+been+here+since+the+start+of+second+semester.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Student teacher Leora Seiler walks students through taking the cores out of a potato. Seiler has been here since the start of second semester.

Jaden Laing

Jaden Laing

Jaden Laing

“Those who know, do. Those who understand, teach,” Aristotle said this in order to demonstrate his philosophy on teaching and learning.

Student teacher Leora Seiler, a senior from Emporia State University, is working with the science department as a requirement to graduate and help attain her teaching license.

For the time being, Seiler is teaching under the observation of Science teachers Brian Hallmark and Nathan Stevens. Seiler and Stevens will be team teaching until May when Seiler leaves.

After she graduates, Seiler plans on becoming a seventh grade science teacher at Ark City Middle School and will be certified to teach biology and chemistry.

Stevens and Seiler both work closely with the students during hands on activities such as labs. Which means that they can successfully work together with the students to team teach each block.

“One of my main goals is to get to a point where [Seiler] is no longer dependant on my help,” Stevens said.

Seiler knew she always wanted to take a scientific path, but teaching science has a much greater meaning to her.

“There’s a ton of kids every day who have the potential to become doctors, pharmacists, nurses and great engineers,” Seiler said.

She looks at teaching as a way of paving the road for the future.

“For me to be able to create those professions – that’s why I became a teacher. My influence on them can help make the world a better place,” Seiler said.

Seiler said she prefers working with high school students because they already kind of know what they want to do. She prefers making her classes more than a basic class experience, and making it relevant to the real world.

Many students enjoy having Seiler around and look forward to the time they have left with her.

“I like her teaching because she is more with the kids and not just taking notes always,” Anastasija Sutirina (11) said.

In May, Seiler will leave and continue her teaching career.

About the Contributor
Jaden Laing, Reporter

Jaden Laing (11) is a first year staff member. Laing has been wrestling for three years and plans on being a state champion. His love of wrestling has...

• Features

Students celebrate Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday

• Student teacher joins science department

Features

Counselors help students speak out about sensitive topics

Features

High school Girl Scouts show dedication

• Features

Groundhog Day reaches 132nd anniversary

Features

Students enjoy classes with favorite teachers

Features

Junior hosts Operation Cinderella

• Features

Late Jason Befort honored on anniversary

Features

Las Vegas too crazy for Thanksgiving

Features

Regier officiates for 40 years

Features

The centenary of the end of WWI arrives

error: Content is protected !!
The student news site of Augusta High School