The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Club improves means of worship in community

Hayden Blair
Fellowship of Christian Athletes leader Elijah Quiring speaks at his ‘Set Free from Sin’ event on Thursday, Feb. 15. Quiring had a diverse audience of Christian students, and handed out shirts for those who accepted Christ.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), around for approximately 35 years, is a club that aims to spread Christianity and the Gospel to students who wish to follow it.

“I have been working with the AHS FCA for 27 years,” FCA sponsor J.D. Hand said. “It has never been just athletes. Much of the devotional materials connect faith and sports, but any who wish to worship have always been welcome.” 

Hand helps leaders prepare for events such as Meet You at the Pole, where members pray and eat donuts before school, as well as gives advice on what the events could be about. 

“Our leaders plan all of our events themselves, with very little outside influence,” Hand said. “The school is very blessed to have a club like this with members who care about their faith, its members and make plans mostly on their own.”

While FCA hosts a variety of events, junior Elijah Quiring, one of the club’s leaders, held recent prayer events, Worship + Message as well as Set Free From Sin, where he spread his experience with the gospel to those who were interested. 

“I’m very passionate about Christianity as a whole, and I love being able to help others express their faith as well,” Quiring said. “I’ve always been Christian as long as I can remember.”

During his event, Quiring had two meetings where he gave speeches about helping students correctly place their faith in Jesus. 

“I give these speeches from a place in my heart where I genuinely love what I do, and hope that my audience feels the same way,” Quiring said. “Christianity is such a large part of my life, and I couldn’t imagine any other good use of my time.” 

Students and teachers both attended one or both of these meetings and interacted with Quiring as he gave his speeches. 

“It’s nice to see teachers and not only students in the audience,” Quiring said. “I love knowing that my message can reach many different members of our community.”