The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Teacher has ACE class sell snacks to raise money for Test Fest

Photo by Azlyn Kutz
Sophomores Tyler Henman, Dalton Cox-Peek, Reagan Stillwell, Danika Jackson and Alicen Hues walk through the science hallway selling snacks to students during ACE. They are doing so to raise money to buy snacks for the freshman and juniors for Test Fest.

In the three years that Test Fest has been running, the school has paid for snacks for the students during testing. This year, Spanish teacher Frank Espinoza has taken the burden for himself. He bought snacks to sell, so he can use that money to pay for the snacks. This is not the first time he’s done this, either.

“I sold snacks back in 2013 to raise money for a Costa Rica trip for students,” Espinoza said. “What we’re raising money for this time around is for water and snacks for the juniors and freshmen on Test Fest.”

Espinoza only plans to sell snacks when it is to raise money for something he deems important. He does not plan to continue selling snacks to students throughout the rest of the year.

“We’re just planning to do it until the snacks are gone,” Espinoza said. “It should be some time during Homecoming week that we’ll be done.”

A few students have decided to help him with this as well. During ACE, he sent out groups of students with carts filled with snacks to go around the building and sell snacks to students in other ACE classes.

“It’s a good way to pass time during ACE,” sophomore Danika Jackson said. “It’s fun to go around the school and sell things.”

Students created a competition out of selling snacks to their peers.

“We have three groups go out and see who can sell the most snacks,” sophomore Tyler Henman said. 

While Espinoza may be running this entire project, he is not the only one who came up with the idea. He often gets other students’ opinions and thoughts during ACE.

“We came up with the idea, Espinoza and I,” sophomore Rylee Pfeifer said. “He wanted to help the school out and this seemed like the smartest way.”

Everything they sold was $1 a piece. He plans to purchase enough small snacks to feed both the freshman and junior classes. 

“We have raised around $100 as of last Friday. I hope to raise somewhere between $250 and $300,” Espinoza said. “We’re going to do Cheez-Its, Fruit Snacks and water.”