The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

Government classes participate in educational field trip

Seniors+Emily+Brundege%2C+Gavin+Kiser%2C+Madison+Luinstra%2C+Bronalea+Thies%2C+Tanner+Ray+and+James+Barnett+pose+in+the+back+of+an+old+police+van.+The+tour+of+the+jail+included+seeing+emergency+vehicles.+
Martin
Seniors Emily Brundege, Gavin Kiser, Madison Luinstra, Bronalea Thies, Tanner Ray and James Barnett pose in the back of an old police van. The tour of the jail included seeing emergency vehicles.

From the police to the county attorney and everything in between, senior government students participated in Butler County’s Government day Nov. 7 

Government teacher Jeff Regier’s 1B and 3B students traveled to Butler County Courthouse, Butler County Community building for lunch and finally Butler County Detention Center. 

Government Day was initially started to teach students more about how the government works. A total of 194 students from surrounding schools attended the trip. 

“This is something that’s been going on for a lot of years. It was originally started by the American Legion, basically what it is is to learn about county government and how your tax money is going to the county,” Regier said.

Senior Jonathan Allman enjoyed the trip and especially enjoyed learning more about the jobs involved with emergency services.

“My favorite part was probably talking to the emergency service people and getting to know what they do for the day’s work and how they help the community,” Allman said.

Senior Bronalea Thies also enjoyed the trip. She enjoyed the tour aspect of the trip which included the Butler County jail and sheriff’s department.

“I enjoyed going to the sheriff’s department and walking through the jail and then seeing the different emergency vehicles that the county uses,” Thies said.

Thies also thought that the trip was beneficial to government students.

“I think it was educational and a good experience for us seniors to know how the government works,” Thies said.

Regier thinks the trip was beneficial for his students and that his students learned new information because of it. 

“It’s always kind of cool going to the jail and everything, but I think they learned a lot from it,” Regier said. “A lot of them have never been to the proper county courthouse before.”