Girls golf competes at state tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls golf competes at state tournament

Freshman Alexa Zweifel, girls golf coach Danny Lundberg and senior Sarah Price posing in front of a building at the 4A State Golf Tournament.

Photo courtesy Alexa Zweifel

Photo courtesy Alexa Zweifel

Photo courtesy Alexa Zweifel

Senior Sarah Price and freshman Alexa Zweifel competed in the 4A State Golf Tournament Oct. 21-22 at Hesston Golf Park.

To make it to state, athletes had to qualify and place in the top three teams at regionals or place in the top 10 individually. After the top 10 individual girls medal, the girls who play as a team went out and competed, and the next five girls who did not place as a team qualify for state. Some girls participating may not win a medal but they still get the chance to play at state.

Price placed 20th at state with 194 strokes while Zweifel placed 34th with 207 strokes. 

Tee time started at 9 a.m. the girls played 36 holes in total throughout the two days so the day wasn’t as long. Tee time is the time which the first player is hitting the first shot of the round.

“We had tee times and then we played 18 holes one day and then the second day we did the same thing,” Zweifel said.

Typically, state golf lasts one day, but this year it was changed to two days. Girls have to do well on the first day in order to advance to the second day.

“If you qualify in either the top six teams or the top 18 individuals you qualify for the second day,” Price said.

For such a big event, athletes have to be able to prepare mentally and physically.

“You have to be mentally prepared and if you get down on yourself, you have to get back up [pick yourself back up] so you can do better on the next hole,” Zweifel said.