New school year brings new administration

Assistant+principal+TJ+Meyer+talks+to+the+senior+class+about+taking+advantage+of+high+school+through+extracurricular+activities.+With+the+instruction+of+Meyer%2C+eight+seniors+played+a+game%2C+which+required+them+to+throw+their+shoes+before+running+to+retrieve+the+matches+relay-style.+

Photo by Savannah Athy-Sedbrook

Assistant principal TJ Meyer talks to the senior class about taking advantage of high school through extracurricular activities. With the instruction of Meyer, eight seniors played a game, which required them to throw their shoes before running to retrieve the matches relay-style.

He can be found where basketballs dribble down the court, children laugh and scream in joy, popcorn gently cooks, and in the office that never closes.

Following the resignation of Ryan Muhlig, new Assistant Principal TJ Meyer has returned to Augusta High School. 

“I’m really excited to get reacquainted with the staff, but then also to meet all the new staff,” TJ said. “I’ve heard a ton of really good things about everybody that’s come on since I left so I’m looking forward to that and then meeting and working with all the students.”

From 2015 to 2018, TJ was a health science teacher. He also spent time coaching in football and basketball.

“I know Mr. Meyer from when he taught at AHS,” English teacher Rebecca Timberlake said. “He was a good teacher and coach, so it’s nice to have him back. He was very involved in the community when he used to live here, which I think is important in a place like Augusta.”

Principal Rick Rivera is excited for the opportunity to work with TJ.

“Mr. Meyer is genuine and authentic in his care for people,” Rivera said. “He goes above and beyond to ensure everything is in place for the team to succeed.”

TJ and his family left Augusta in 2018 so he could pursue an administrative position elsewhere.

Assistant principal TJ Meyer takes a picture with the members of a basketball camp run by him. Meyer put on multiple camps while living in Scott City. (Photo courtesy TJ Meyer)

“We were out in western Kansas, in Scott City,” TJ said. “You’ve got to drive at least two or three hours, probably more in most cases, to go do something really fun. And we have young kids, so that’s tough. When a job came open in Augusta, my wife and I were like, ‘man, we’ve got to look into it, we’ve got to go for it.’ We love Augusta.”

TJ lives with his wife Kari Meyer, son Beckham Meyer and daughter Brettley Meyer.

I’m a big family guy,” TJ said. “We like adventure. Going to play sports, biking, hiking. We go around the lake a lot and to the park, anything outside. My son’s pretty active in different sports, so if we’re not at an activity, we’re probably going to Wichita to Chicken N Pickle or something to do something fun.”

TJ and his family are excited to be back in the district.  

“It’s just a great community,” TJ said. “We were both born in small towns and grew up in small towns. We feel like you have that in Augusta, but also Wichita was so close so you have a lot of the bigger city stuff. My wife and I were married here, we had Brettley here, so it just kind of felt like home.”

At home, Kari said TJ always has a “glass half-full” attitude.

“He is always making us laugh,” Kari said. “Even after a long day at work, he always finds the time and energy to play with our kids.”

TJ’s goal this year is to know the student body on a personal level.  

“I want to build a ton of positive relationships with students and staff,” TJ said. “I want to work with kids. I want to work with staff and help them be the best they can be.”

People who know TJ said he puts in the effort to know everyone around him.

“He genuinely cares about people and wants to help them be successful,” Kari said. “That’s what makes him so special.”

Teachers are looking forward to the optimism TJ will bring to the school.

During a vacation to Colorado, assistant principal TJ Meyer stands with his wife Kari Meyer, son Beckham Meyer and daughter Brettley Meyer for a family picture. TJ and his family are fond of any activities they can do together, especially in the form of movies or outdoor activities. (Photo courtesy TJ Meyer)

“Mr. Meyer has a lot of positive energy, which I’m sure will have a positive effect on students,” Timberlake said. “I hope he helps to guide teachers and staff to become better educators for all our students.”

As the school year begins, TJ is prepared for any challenges ahead.

“Whatever is thrown at us, if it’s COVID stuff or whatever curveballs are thrown our way, we’re going to figure out a way to get through it,” TJ said. “We’re going to spend 10 percent of the time on the problem, but then the 90 percent of time focus on how we can overcome it.”