The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

A local family designs card game from scratch

Photo Courtesy the Warren family
The Warren family, Jeff, Shawnacy, Caleb and Dylan, sit on their living room couch holding the Chernobyl game they created. All of the upcoming events concerning Chernobyl can be found on their website, as well as instructions on how to play the game.

Chernobyl is a 4-10 player card game in which one has to be aware of who their friends and enemies are, all while holding their own secret identity. Sophomore Caleb Warren and his family, dad Jeff Warren, mom Shawnacy Warren and brother Dylan Warren created and designed the game.

It all started during a normal family game night.

“We were playing Uno, and I just thought, ‘What if you had to kill the person?’”game creator Dylan Warren said. 

Chernobyl is the Warren family’s debut into the gaming world. 

“It’s a game where you have to figure out who your friends and enemies are, and team up to stop the bad guys before it’s too late,” game creator sophomore Caleb Warren said. 

The game can be purchased directly from the family or at Applejack Pumpkin Patch for $20. It can also be shipped if bought from their website for an added $10. 

“We’ve sold just over 100 games,” one of the game creators Shawnacy Warren said.

Chernobyl took a while to get it just right and ready for sale. 

“The first version of the game was on index cards,” Shawnacy said. “The game that you can now purchase is actually the fourth version of Chernobyl.”

One of the ways the Warrens are trying to promote the game is by holding game nights.

Sophomore Adelie McQueen has attended a game night. These game nights normally consist of new players learning the layout of the game before they actually jump into playing it. 

“I really did enjoy the game. It was very cool,” McQueen said. “I would definitely go again.”

Chernobyl was only printed in May, yet the family already has plenty of other game ideas and additions to Chernobyl in the works. 

“We’ve got a couple of expansion packs for Chernobyl, and a completely different board game as well,” Caleb said. “It’s a creative writing game about superheroes.”

The family has had help from people in the community. They feel very grateful to all who have helped them come this far. 

“The community has been very nice about coming out to help support us,” Shawnacy said. 

The family is optimistic and happy about how things are turning out. While it seems to have been a long process, they feel as though it has paid off. 

They are mainly concerned with how others respond to the game.

“My hope is that people have fun playing the game. If people have fun, then I did my job right,” Dylan said.