The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

A-Town Getdown provides opportunity for community to come together

Photo by Rachel Womeldorff
Residents enjoy conversing downtown across the street from Williamson Plumbing. Go! Augusta provided tables and chairs, but it also encouraged community members to take their own chairs.

The inaugural “A-Town Getdown” was held in the 300 block of State Street last week by Go! Augusta Chamber of Commerce. Community members gathered downtown to participate in the festivities.

“I went downtown after the cheerleaders went out to eat,” junior Mya Goodmanson said.

The event was advertised by Go! Augusta as a street dance with live music and food options.

“It was something I was looking forward to, especially since we don’t have a normal homecoming dance,” senior Jordyn Simpson said.

The function included live music from the Llew Brown Band. Senior Aspen Magruder used the music to teach a friend different dances.

“Trying to learn a line dance with Aspen was one thing that I enjoyed,” Goodmanson said.

Several food trucks offered a variety of options for those who attended the event.

“All of the different food options were amazing,” senior Cooper Buell said. “Flutterbye Ranch, Candiles and other restaurants were selling some good stuff.”

Restaurants downtown also attracted business from the event in the area.

“Getting ice cream at Miller’s Five was my favorite part of the night,” Simpson said. “I love their ice cream so much.”

(I am really struggling with my transition here) The A-Town Getdown was a way for the community to come together after homecoming week.

“It was a fun event to attend with all of the community there,” Buell said. “The live band along with the food trucks made it really fun.”