The student newspaper of Augusta High School

The Oriole

The Oriole

The Oriole

College classes taken during high school benefit students

Graphic by Justin Gwaltney
College classes taken in high school have plenty of benefits for students. Even the little disadvantages are majorly outweighed by the positive advantages.

Ranging from physical education to pottery and painting, our school offers a variety of classes. Our school also offers students the opportunity to take charge of their education and enroll in different college classes. 

Some of these classes, such as speech, psychology or sociology benefit students in the long run. 

With the ability to take these classes while students are still in high school, with Butler professors showing up to teach these classes, students feel the comfort of knowing they are in a class with other students they might know, instead of having to deal with a big lecture hall that might happen on a college campus.

Another positive aspect is that when students are enrolled in either speech, psychology or sociology, these classes are through Butler, and since Butler has a tuition waiver, it allows students to take these classes with no extra cost.

Another major part of taking college classes in high school is the ability to gain both high school credits and college credits at the same time. Since students are taking these classes during high school hours, and they are college classes enrolled through a college, that means students will receive both high school and college credits for taking that one class.

However, some people say taking college classes is not worth it due to how much extra work these classes give, but that is untrue. College classes usually do have work that is due at a certain date, but since most of the due dates are accessible, it is easy to plan out to finish them.

Even if the extra work was considered to be a downside of taking college classes during high school, the positives significantly outweigh the negatives. 

Being able to take college classes that allow students to get a jumpstart on their education, as well as being in a comfortable environment, taking college classes during high school benefit students.