People cope with strong emotions

Sophomore Elijah Quiring uses his faith in God to cope with his emotions. Quirring reads the Bible on his app during his class as a coping skill

With students talking loudly and crowded hallways, some students’ anxiety is increasing. People utilize their coping skills that work for them; coping helps people around the world calm themselves from extreme emotions. 

A crowded room can be an anxious person’s nightmare, crowded rooms tend to overwhelm and stress Axel Heywood.

“It feels like I’m helpless and like there’s nothing I can do about it,” Heywood said. “I have very loud classes so I can’t focus and I can’t do what I’m supposed to be doing.”

While coping is a universal skill, everyone uses techniques that work for them.

“I use music as a way to cope, get thoughts out of my head and just calm down before I do anything with those emotions that I might regret,” senior Abby Hastings said.

Some students, like sophomore Elijah Quiring, use his faith in God to calm himself when emotions become overwhelming.

“When it comes to tragic times or events in my life, I mainly sit and think about it because I really hate to think too much about it;  that’s very painful for me, so I pray about it,” Quiring said.

“You can find comfort in everything Jesus did for you, and that makes me quite happy.”

As everyone has a skill they find helpful, people share their skills with their friends and family.

“I listen to music, try to read or use a grounding technique called 54321, which is using your five senses; five things you see, four things you can touch, three things you hear, two things you can smell and one thing you can taste,” Heywood said. “I definitely think people should learn about the 54321 method, it’s really helped me and a bunch of my friends in so many ways and it can be used anywhere.”

On the other hand, some people prefer to be left alone to take care of their emotions. People like being alone with their emotions for a multitude of reasons, but it often gives them time to think about the problem and come up with a solution.

“My cousin has anger issues, and he resets, so he lays down on the couch with his feet in the air for a while to reset his head so he doesn’t act irrationally,” Hastings said.

Because people deal with different emotions, they cope with them in different ways to cope with those emotions. Some people prefer to be around their friends and trusted people to help them calm down while others prefer to be left alone to solve it themselves. Either way, people find ways to calm strong emotions to allow people to rationally and calmly solve their problems.