Traditional learning gives way to technology

Photo Illustration by Caleb Knollenberg

Junior Giselle Mestas typing on her school Chromebook.. “I think it’s easier to lose work on paper than it is to lose it online,” junior Giselle Mestas said.

With the sound of a silent classroom, keyboards clicking, and pencils scratching. Technology has been on an uprise.

“Us using Chromebooks ever since COVID it just became an asset to some stuff,” science teacher Brian Hallmark said.

Since COVID had such a big effect, students started using their Chromebooks more; that came with additional problems even in the classroom.

“Sometimes, you get your computer issues, everybody does, and that slows class down,” Hallmark said.

With video games having a big effect on the world, it affects students’ learning abilities.

“Some kids don’t stay focused, or they start playing a video game on it,” Hallmark said.

Teachers like both pencil and paper as well as technology too. English teacher Ashley Deaver uses both in class. 

“I like a combination of the two,” English teacher Ashley Deaver said.

With technology comes cons while in the classroom for students and teachers alike.

“I feel like it can be a huge distraction like when students play on their Chromebooks instead of work,” Deaver said.

Distractions have a toll on students, such as games, videos, and text messages, which is why they both have cons, but with technology comes better organization.

“Pen and paper is easier to access, but technology is simpler,” sophomore Landen Highbarger said. 

Some kids need help with reading and writing so using technology helps in some situations which brings cons to pencil and paper.

“I think technology works better because some kids struggle with writing and with the computer it’s easier,” Mestas said.