Students encounter paranormal experiences

The+hallway+pictured+is+the+front+of++English+teacher+Megan+Spring%E2%80%99s+room+leading+to+English+teacher+Ashley+Deaver%E2%80%99s+room.+Sophomore+Royce+Dickinson+faced+a+paranormal+incident+of+his+back+being+tugged+when+he+was+alone.+

Haley Jeter

The hallway pictured is the front of English teacher Megan Spring’s room leading to English teacher Ashley Deaver’s room. Sophomore Royce Dickinson faced a paranormal incident of his back being tugged when he was alone.

Walking into school and seeing dark ominous hallways, flickering school lights and unexplainable events are not something the student body encounters.  For some students, unexplained paranormal events affect them at home. 

The high school has been a place for these sightings to appear. One student specifically was caught in a unique situation here in the high school at 6 a.m on a Saturday the morning of a debate tournament back in 2018.

“I was sitting in the commons waiting for my debate partner to show up that morning,” senior Marlee Crump said. “All of a sudden I saw someone walking towards me: I thought it was my partner. Then when I had looked back over in the direction they were walking it had disappeared.”

The experiences only qualify as a paranormal phenomenon for students if they believe in the paranormal (ghosts/spirits). Not all students believe in other realm activities, so it means nothing more to them besides a coincidence. 

“I do believe in ghosts and possibly other spiritual creatures roaming the Earth,” senior Zaidan Ohlson said. 

Sometimes, more fear is faced after an encounter ends. Consequently, it’s not the direct occurrence of the sighting that’s off-putting for people, it’s what follows. 

“At that point, I was already freaked out, but the random noises and whispers I heard until they showed up did not help,” Crump said. “I feel paranoid, like I’m waiting for something else to happen, or I feel like someone is still watching me. 

Early Saturday mornings are just one of times students seemed to have encountered these unexplainable experiences.

“Walking through the halls after school I constantly feel like I’m being watched,” sophomore Royce Dickinson said. “Even once I had my back yanked on when I was alone.”

These possibly being student’s pets or even just animals in general.

“When I was six to seven years old, my dog, a Pomeranian named Princess died,” Hannah Lawson said. “For several weeks after her passing, I saw her just standing in front of me and playing with the ball I gave her.”

Some occurrences are distant memories held onto from a young age.

“I was 4. I woke up in the middle of the night and went to get something to drink, but when I walked into my kitchen, the water was turned on, and even after I turned it off, it kept turning back on right in front of me,” Dickinson said.