The student newspaper of Augusta High School

Photo by Stacia Pennycuff

English teacher Casey Lindsted teaches his 3B English class after lunch. He was discussing the important pieces of literature.

Augusta High School faces change in 2021-2022 staff

September 8, 2021

Four teachers have taken different paths to joining the 2021-2022 school year.

English teacher Casey Lindsted transferred jobs to teach at Augusta after teaching for four years at Sunrise Christian Academy.

“The challenge is to learn what’s expected of you, where you’re at, and what’s needed to succeed,” Lindsted said. 

Many of his colleagues have gone out of their way to help him.

“I know Augusta is thought of as a tight-knit community, but I’ve been made to feel quite welcome,” Lindsted said.

While Lindsted came from a Christian school, special-ed teacher Chelsey Tormey was previously a special education teacher at Ewalt Elementary School. 

“I was most excited about being able to uncover some different goals and successes for any student that didn’t feel that they were capable of many things and also being that encouraging source they may not have in their life,” Tormey said.

All of her jobs outside of teaching combined her skills and ultimately pushed her toward a career in the classroom.

“High school was my least favorite school experience of my entire life, so I was essentially most excited about making it a very positive experience for as many students as I can, whether they were special ed or reg ed,” Tormey said.

Unlike Tormey, 2015 graduate Connor Spellman has taken on the role of long term sub in Art this semester before he completes his Masters of Arts degree in teaching.

Spellman described his teaching experiences as somewhat nostalgic at times. 

“It’s interesting to see the teachers who were once my teachers. They are now co-workers and colleagues of mine, and it’s very interesting to be able to have that prior teacher-student relationship and now  move on to peer-to-peer relationship,” Spellman said.

Spellman feels prepared for his time teaching at Augusta.

“I think it has given me an advantage just because when I was looking for subbing positions I had contacts here,” Spellman said.

Spellman was the permanent sub last year for the high school.

“I was told this by teachers, with all of this experience with subbing, you’re going to learn so much and just be a step ahead of anyone who is trying to become a teacher just because of getting that time in the classroom with students,” Spellman said.

Industrial arts teacher Rhett Mallon teaches his architectural design class about exit elevation in paper airplanes. The students had just participated in a paper airplane competition.
(Photo by Stacia Pennycuff)

While Spellman was a sub, Industrial Arts teacher Rhett Mallon grew a restoration and remodeling business that led him to teaching. 

“With my field experience, it allows me to have knowledge in the topics I have been assigned to teach,” Mallon said.

Since 2009, Mallon has owned his own company. However, his true passion is coaching.

“Football and wrestling are fun because of the physicality involved,” Mallon said.

He enjoys how different the athletics are and the strategies involved for each sport.

“I also enjoy coaching softball after two seasons of primarily boys for sanity reasons,” Mallon said.

The Oriole • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

error: Content is protected !!