Students find racial slurs unacceptable

Graphic by Claire Pletcher

Graphic by Claire Pletcher

Where is the line separating harmless jokes and the usage of unacceptable slurs? A few students believe certain racial slurs have come to be seen as acceptable to use in everyday conversation. Derogatory phrases, whether used as a joke or not, are highly controversial and some students believe, unacceptable. 

“There are very few people that I know that don’t say the N-word, many of which are not African American, which is sad,” senior Elayna Cantu said. 

Cantu is not the only one who feels this way. In one of sophomore Gracie Dalziel’s classes, she overheard a fellow white student use a racial slur, after reporting the incident to administration, she was displeased when she heard he did not receive any punishment.

“He was using a racial slur repeatedly during class, which I do not think is ever okay to use. He had no consequences; nothing was done. It’s unacceptable,” Dalziel said. 

Dalziel and Cantu are part of the majority it seems, as according to Pew Research Center, 7 out of 10 U.S. citizens say they think it’s never acceptable for a white person to use the N-word.

“It’s immature and insulting whether you’re African American or not. The N-word is a disgusting word. Nothing is achieved when someone is calling another person derogatory names,” senior Braidyn Harp said.